Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sherry Klehr: Summative Assessment Project

I have been all over the road on my formative and summative assessments.  I really enjoyed Mastery Connect but couldn't get myself to be practical at the end of the year using this.  I wanted to put a matching test in Mastery Connect, but it doesn't have that ability.  I have never created a google form before (I know, I'm behind the times.)  So I made a form from a post test I had given students at the end of the year to measure my SLG (Student Learning Goal). 

Standard: 6.11.4.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple meaning words and phrases based on grade 6 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.

Standard: 6.11.4.4 b. Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g. audience, auditory, audible).


SLG:
100% of 6th grade students will demonstrate 80% or better proficiency of 20 Greek/Latin roots and meanings by June 2014.
I created the Prefixes/Bases/Suffixes Post Test in a google form, and later tested it in Flubaroo. Here are my results.

Flubaroo results

Note:  A similar pre-test was given and students used the Membean.com website, as well as other activities in class to learn before the post test.  All students scored a 75% or better on 40 word roots (not 20, as stated in the SLG).

I had already given this test on paper to my 6th graders since I needed it for my earlier SLG meeting, however, I shared it with the other 6th grade Language Arts teachers to use next year.

The authenticity of this test is important, not only because it measures an SLG, but also because it tested in a similar and different way than we studied these word parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment