Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Rolland Talan Summative assessment Project

For my summative assessment project, I decided to work on a math unit test. I chose an Everyday Math test (I do not have a choice as all math teachers in the district are to give the same unit tests in math); I chose the unit test (#8 - Part A* for fifth grade) -- see below -- as I was currently teaching unit 8 and I wanted to try my work right away with students.

Unit Test # 8 - Part A -- 5th Grade










Since I could not create my own assessment and make it as authentic as I wanted, I decided to do what I could to make this assignment as authentic as possible.
I focused on Feedback -- as it is outlined in Randy Smasal Presentation that one very important aspect of authentic assessments is feedback. I decided to work on providing quick, personalized feedback to students and parents that incorporate ways to practice, at home, concepts that need practice. This feedback should help students and parents to answer these core questions: Where am I now? How am I supposed to close the gap?

First I grouped the questions on the test by concepts, and allotted a number of point per concepts. Then I decided what should be reviewed by non proficient students, and  how many points should a student get on a test to be “proficient”. Then, I created a summary document that states what to review and how to review (on IXL.com) concepts that are not mastered. Click here to see this summary document.

In order to fill out the last column, I had to go through the list of skills on IXL.com, to see which skills matched the concepts tested on the unit test #8.
At the bottom of the summary documents (each student gets his/her own personalized summary document), there are also links to directly access the skills on IXL.com.

Once all that was done, I created a Google form where students can enter their scores. Click here for an example.


I also used an “Autocrat”script on the response spreadsheet for this form -- see below -- and linked it to the summary document I created, so that each parent would receive a quick feedback for the test.

Screenshot of the form responses:




Screenshot of the Spreadsheet with autocrat script:




This Feedback document not only provides parents with the grade, but also what concepts need to be reviewed, and how to practice these concepts at home. See below for an example.

Example of a Feedback Document:





Finally I asked for Parent’s feedback through a survey, asking if they wanted to see this kind of feedback again. So far I have had 25 answers (50% of the possible answers) and 100% yes.

Screenshot of the survey results:





Standard addressed:

Number and operations: Add and subtract decimals and fractions.

Reflections on Growth:

This assignment really made me grow as a teacher because it made me use a summative assessment not only as a reference point to know what students know or don’t know but also
use it as a tool to help help students progress, help parents know what to do to help, provide me with quick data, and provide me with a better understanding of the assignment itself. It really made me think of best ways to provide feedback, as well as work on technology to make providing quick personalized feedback possible and not too much time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment