Sunday, May 25, 2014

Mellanie Pusateri Summative Assessment Project

Mellanie Pusateri  Summative Assessment Project


For this project I chose to do a summative project with my Blended Core Fitness class. This class had just studied/participated in a unit dedicated to fitness trends and activities. Students participated in circuit training activities, relaxation yoga, Vinyasa yoga, p90X, Tae Bo and Body pump.  Students were then assessed on their ability to make a workout video with a group and post it to our forum.  (The link to the assignment is below.)






PE Standard Addressed:
Standard 2: Demonstrates an understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.


This assessment was √§uthentic" in that the students got to choose what kind of video workout they wanted to complete based on their own interests/strengths. One group chose to focus on yoga, while another group did their version of Zumba.  Some groups took the assignment and ran with it by choosing a theme or dressing up in 80's clothing.  I was thrilled with their work. SIDE BAR- In the past I restricted this  assignment in both time and in activity (choosing to have the kids do a strength video to music). The quality of the results this year were remarkably better due to the authentic piece addressed.

I am quite a bit more mindful this year of my summative and formative assessments due to both this course and my work with PLC's.  I have a long way to go but this project was much better for both the students and myself due to the choice of using a better rubric than in the past and also working on the authenticity of the product.  I am also working on using google docs and add-ons to make assessments and communication with my students more effective. I think Doctopus will be my summer project!

Here is a sample product:




No comments:

Post a Comment