Saturday, May 24, 2014

Donna Griswold Summative Assessment Project

Summative Assessment


Standards Addressed:  RF 2.3.0.3 Know and apply grade level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.




Students will  independently take Socrative quiz to assess mastery of reading words with /s/ blend words.  
Students will be required to achieve at least 95% mastery on Socrative quiz.


Steps:


1.   Students first went through the direct teaching lessons of learning a new sound chunk or phonics rule.
2.  Students took at least 3 separate formative assessments
3.  Results of formative assessments determined if students were ready to complete summative assessment
4. Students were assigned to independently complete a a summative assessment.  A score of 95% or higher was benchmark to determine if they had learned the rule and were ready to move on to next phonics rule.


How is it authentic?  Rick Wormeli says Successful assessment is authentic in 2 ways: Authentic to the real-world and Authentic to how the students are Learning. Because I teach struggling students how to read  I have to be very purposeful in how I begin the process.  I start from the beginning by teaching sounds in isolation, then in controlled words, to controlled sentences and finally to non-controlled text.  My techniques to teaching students to read is directly related to how they are learning. My students need a multi-sensory approach to reading. They need an alternative way to learn to read that is separate from the general education setting.  A majority of my students need a highly prescriptive approach to learning to read. By having students independently complete the Socrative summative assessment, they are demonstrating a life skill of  independently reading on their own.  They demonstrate they have internalized a set of rules to use when they need to decode an unfamiliar word. Completing the summative assessment does require higher level thinking for my students as reading does not come naturally for them. They have to be purposeful in learning how to attack an unfamilar word. They need to look at the word and determine what chunks or sound rules they have learned and then use the stategies to decode the remainder of the word.  For example if the word is swim a student first looks at word to determine if they readily know it.  If not, they have to recall that /sw/ is a chunk or sound rule they have learned and recall the sound it makes. Next they look at see what comes next.  In this case there is the vowel /i/ and now they have to recall what they have learned about vowels.  They recall in most cases if a word contains one vowel it will most likely be the short sound.  Now they loook at next letter /m/ and must recall the sound /m/ makes. Now they need to put all the sounds together and determine what the word sounds out to be.  Many of my students need to remember to use the technique of tracing out the sounds to be sure their eyes are tracking with what they see and to add another sense - tactile or sense of touch in this case to read the word. Once students have read the word they need to be sure it is the correct word by seeing if it fits in context with the  rest of the sentence.   For most of my students reading will alway be a challenge, but by learning how to decode a word using specific rules, this will assist them becoming more independent in their reading which is what Rick Wormeli defines as real world.


After using several different tools for the formative assessment project and the Socrative tool for my summative assessment I do belive some of the tools can be used for both formative and summative assessments.  I did consider using badging but after creating a badge I felt it was too cumbersome for what I need and was not authentic technology for my needs at this time.  The socrative tool was quick to use with my students. It was private and had no time constraints. Students saw this as an activity that I viewed as important and thier actions showed me they put forth their best effort. In the future I would use the Google Forms and the Socrative tool as interchangeable since I believe they will both meet my needs for gathering data for students. This tool does not have a lot of bells and whistles and this is a positive as I need students to just focus on the reading. It models real life assessments they will most likely come across as they move through the grades. What I like about it being on-line is that I can modify it at any time and adapt it for students who may need a more basic format simply by duplicating the quiz and making changes.

screen.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment