Monday, May 26, 2014

Angela Gadtke Summative Assessment Project

A thorough description of the project

For my summative project, I focused on the kindergarten math checklist that we use in Edina to measure a student's progress in 24 math objectives.  At the end of the year, all 24 objectives are assessed with each child individually.  My goal was to transform how assessments are given so as to place more ownership in the hands of the student, provide a more authentic experience, and save the teacher instructional time.  

First, I reviewed the 24 math objectives and picked out a few that I felt would lend themselves well to integrating technology and are performance-based, one on one assessments.  I talked with Scott Woelber and discussed the 24 objectives along with Mastery Connect.  We discussed using Mastery Connect to create a tracker so that as a teacher, I could quickly see which students have met mastery and those that still need additional support and practice.  We also discussed using videos and screen casts with iPads to guide students through assessments. We began to collaborate using Mastery Connect.

Here is the curriculum map we started


The long-term plan in my classroom was to create an assessment "hub" where students could view a screen cast or video of me introducing the assessment they would be completing. The students would complete the performance-based assessment and either photograph or video record themselves using an iPad.

The first summative assessment the students completed involved identifying three-dimensional shapes.  Normally, I would meet with each student individually, hold up a  shape and ask them to tell me the name of the shape.  I would then record their responses on a checklist, refer to the rubric, and give them a score on a 1 to 3 scale.

For this project, the students first viewed this video in which I introduced the assessment task.  In my classroom, I set up five work stations.  Each work station had an iPad and a bag of 3D shapes.  Students went to the work station one at a time throughout our math time and completed the assessment.  On the iPad, they opened the camera, changed it to video, changed the direction of the camera, and held up one 3D shape at a time in front of the video, while identifying the name of the 3D shape.

Here is an example of one student completing the assessment.  




During non-instructional time, I then put the videos from my 5 iPads into my Dropbox.  I then viewed the videos and scored their performance based on the District rubric from this assessment.  That rubric is here.

Here is where Mastery Connect comes back into play.  After the rubric and performance assessment improvements occur in Mastery Connect over the summer, I will be able to click on a student's name under this assessment and select how they performed based on the provided rubric. As for right now, the student's performance had to be entered manually.  The tracker looks like this.



The second summative assessment involved creating patterns.  In a large group, I introduced the assessment to the class. I wrote the steps that they would follow on the SMARTBoard.   Each child moved about the room and created an ABC pattern using whatever materials they chose.  After creating the pattern, they got a whiteboard, wrote their name on it, and placed it next to the pattern they created.  Students then grabbed an iPad from one central table, took a picture of their work showing that they could create an ABC pattern.

Here are some examples of their work.


 


Again, I reviewed their work in Dropbox and graded them with this rubric

The third summative assessment the students completed was with money.  Like the 3D shape assessment, I set up five workstations around the room.  Each had an iPad, whiteboard, dry erase marker, and coins.  Students worked individually with this assessment.  First, they placed the coins on the whiteboard, labeled the coin with its beginning sound and its value.  They then used their iPad to capture a picture of their work.  All the photos were reviewed in Dropbox and graded according to the following rubric.

Here are some examples of their work.


In Mastery Connect, I have worked with Scott to create a tracker that lists all 24 kindergarten math objectives.  The objectives can be viewed from one screen and on an iPad.  All of my students are also listed on this tracker.  This allows me to quickly see who needs more help in certain areas.  In the future, we will be able to use this tracker to compare students across the grade level and plan for more individualized math instruction.

Here's what the tracker can look like when some data is entered.




I can also pull up one specific skill and see how the class as a whole is doing. This is an example of what it looks like when I pulled up the "Money" portion of the assessment.


Standards addressed

The three summative assessments that I completed fall into the following state standards.

  • K.3.1.1 Recognize three-dimensional shapes such as cubes, cones, cylinders and spheres. 
  • K.2.1.1 Identify, create, complete, and extend simple patterns using shape, color, size, number, sounds and movements.
  • Identify coins and their values, including penny, nickel, dime, and quarter.
How the assessment is "authentic"

I view the assessment as authentic because it involved student choice, student ownership, and hands-on materials.  They could determine their materials, pace, timing, and when they felt they were done and could capture their knowledge. The students were able to hold the actual real-life objects such as the coins and show me what they knew.  In terms of the 3D shape assessment, the students were able to talk to me via their video.  Communicating the student's knowledge is also much more authentic because I can share with parents, the video or photographs instead of talking about a rating on a rubric.  I have evidence easily on hand.  

Eventually, I would like to utilize Mastery Connect or another system to create an electronic portfolio for each child.  This portfolio would house photographs and videos.  It would be created by the student.  As many articles shared, using portfolios and allowing students to reflect on their learning is one of the most powerful tools.

Personal reflection on your growth in this area

It's interesting to reflect on my journey with this project because initially, I was overwhelmed with upcoming end of the year assessments.  I had viewed Mastery Connect and did not feel it was something that I could meaningfully incorporate in my kindergarten classroom.  Many of the assessments on the site were paper and pencil assessments and involved filling in bubbles.  Those are not tasks that are easily taken on with five year olds. It was difficult to find assessments that put ownership with the child and involved hands-on manipulatives.

As I reflected on the current practice of summative math assessments in kindergarten, I saw a need to engage the child in the process and give them more ownership in their learning. I wanted to make it less of a situation in which they came to me one on one and I quickly threw various tasks at them. While the summative assessments did not vary too greatly from what they would have done one on one with me, they controlled what they created, how they presented it, and when they were ready to capture that knowledge.

The students were really engaged and motivated by the control they had and were thrilled that they could work at their own pace. They loved taking the video and pictures because they could review their work and reflect on their learning.  Often times they asked me, "Can you send that picture to my mom and dad?"  In the past I never would have had a students say that after working with me one on one at a table as I checked off a rubric.

This summative project has given me a starting point to continue to find ways to change how I complete various one on one assessments with my students.  It has allowed me to connect with District-level colleagues in a manner that has been helpful, supportive, and exciting.  I am eager to see what Mastery Connect can do in terms of making the recording of assessments more efficient.  I will continue to see how using that tool can save time and facilitate personalizing math instruction in my classroom and grade level. I will also continue to find a way to create a digital portfolio for students that helps them capture their knowledge so that they can continue to share what they know.







No comments:

Post a Comment