Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Andy Richter Summative Assessment Project

The summative project I have created is for Secondary Instrumental Music.  It is designed so students may personalize their learning through a project-based learning project each quarter.  The ability for an instrumentalist to play music upon first sight requires that they are Proficient at the knowledge and execution of multiple Power Standards in Instrumental Music.
The students begin by taking an inventory of their personal reflection regarding their Proficiency in the knowledge and execution of those standards in the form of musical elements.  Next, students choose which musical element they wish to develop over the course of the quarter and create SMART Goals to implement their plan.  Students will journal throughout the quarter as well as submit a Pre-Test, 2 Formative Assessments, and 1 Summative Assessment in their Portfolio to demonstrate their progress towards mastery of their chosen musical element.  The step-by-step process is outlined using Blendspace.
This is an authentic assessment because students use these skills on a regular basis to varying degrees when they perform on their instrument.  Additionally, playing an instrument is a lifelong skill and many students will continue to play their instrument until they are physically incapable of doing so.
I am excited to implement this next year.  I have been trying to find ways to Personalize Learning in Band and I believe this will be a good prototype to begin with and develop further along the way.  I learned how to use Blendspace as a good visual way to give stepwise instructions.  I’m still exploring the different methods I could use to host student’s journals and portfolio entries but I think starting with Google Forms and Docs will be a good way to start.  I don’t believe that I would be able to offer a Project-Based, Personalized Learning Plan for my students in Band if I didn’t have technology tools at my disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment