Monday, February 10, 2014

20% project isummit

Donna Griswold
20% project 7771



1.  Please share what you accomplished with your 20% project.  What did you do?  What did you learn?



I attended the Summit on Feb. 1, 2014 at Hopkins High School for my 20% project.

I felt the summit was a good learning experience for me. It was a bit overwhelming and fast paced for my learning style when it comes to technology,but I did pick up some apps to try out.  I was encouraged to have the choice to attend the more entry level ¨camping sessions¨. These sessions were at my level, but there was a bit too much information shared in limited time. My preference would have been  two or three apps shared per session with time to play around with the apps.  It would have been helpful to know prior to each session what apps were going to be presented so I had time to download the apps prior to the class.   Luckily, with the notes I took about apps that interested me I have been exploring more on my own time to discover which might be useful for my students and professional needs. I have come to realize there are always going to be an abundant number of Apps and  I should not feel stressed to try and make an app fit my needs for the sake of using technology. I learned more tips about how my i-pad works: how to take a screenshot, how to search my notes ,how the home button works, and most importantly that I need to update to  IOS 7!
2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:
b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.
I have decided to try a couple apps with students.   All of these were shared in the sessions I attended with Angie Kalthoff.  Word Wizards may be helpful for students to practice their spelling  words as well as sight words..  Futaba is an app that may be useful for reviewing sight words and using in my integrated theme unit.  I liked Toontastic as I have some students who I feel would really blossom if given the chance to role play on screen. I have a student working on reading comprehension skills so I will  have her try this app to summarize what she has read.  I liked  trying out Haiku Deck and found it very easy to use.   I am thinking about posing a question of the week for students to respond about what they learned during the  week then sharing it with all students. I teach lots of phonics rules so students could illustrate how a new rule works. I liked the app called Book Creator and will need to take some more time to figure out how everything works, but think this is an app my students would enjoy using when working on writing skills.  
I did download the app for QR codes, but this will not be an app I use with students at this time.  I will try testing it out when I am out in the community.  
5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teacher
c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.
I enjoyed the keynote speaker, Jennie Mageria from the Chicago Public Schools.  She shared an important message about how we are eager to bring technology into our schools, but we are not eager to change our teaching. I am struggling  with that very message.  Reading the articles and videos on engaged and inspired learning gave me lots to think about.  I saw some teachers using technology for a big part of everyday  and I would be curious to know if their students showed marked improvement in their learning over time with this approach. We need to recognize that an ipad is a tool  and how to best  use them.   We need to know why we are using the ipad( or any other device) and what our goals  are.  We should not just use technology for the sake of technology without seeing benefits. I liked the student examples Jennie showed about how students problem solve a math problem using apps like explain everything and educreations.  I especially liked how she showed her students how she problem solves while at the grocery store by making a screencast in real  life.  She was not worried about a nice edited  presentation,but what was happening in the moment to teach a concept.  I think having kids make screen cast of how they solve open response math problems would be a useful way to use that technology in our school.  Teachers would need to have additional time to watch and evaluate these videos so that would be one drawback.
Overall, I would recommend another isummit and I would attend again.  I think having the day shortened would be helpful.  With all the information to absorb, I was on overload by the last session and did not take much away from it. It was also the next instructional level up and it was way above my learning curve.

3. Model Digital-Age Work and LearningTeachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. Teacher:
d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning

I will be using apps I feel will be beneficial for my students as described above.  I will share with my collegues if I find the apps would benefit their teaching.  I am hoping to collaborate with the other special education teacher who attended the isummit and see if she has used some of the apps in her setting and what she found beneficial with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment