Thursday, January 9, 2014

Betony Osborne 20% Project for Collaboration and Community Course

Digital Citizenship Assignment
Tech Cohort 2013-2014
Goal
To use the target language to learn about digital citizenship and relate it back to one of the target cultures as well.  As our classrooms change, teaching about digital citizenship is important and it's important to relate it back to one's content area.  Therefore, this lesson incorporates pieces on technology from France such as tech use stats, an important historical event in the birth of technology and the resulting formation of a tech oversight organization in France.  The culmination for the lesson is a promotional poster from that organization published in France about Internet Safety.  This lesson incorporates all World Language ACTFL national standards of communication, culture, comparison, community and connections!

Lesson Plan
1.      Stats for internet use in F R A N C E. http://www.internetworldstats.com/europa.htm#fr
FR - 65,630,692 population (2012) - Country Area: 547,030 sq km
Capital city: Paris - population 2,193,624 (2012)
52,228,905 Internet users on June 30, 2012, 79.6% penetration, per IWS.
25,624,760 Facebook subscribers on Dec 31/12, 39.0% penetration rate.
24.79 Mbps Broadband download speed on Nov.28, 2013, per Ookla.
a.       Review stats and compare to US population to give scope of size of France.
                                                               i.      314 million – US

2.       Stats for internet use in Europe.
a.       Internet stats discussing non users based on country, age, income. 
b.      Internet stats discussing smart phone use, where internet is used. 
c.       Stats regarding video use, opinion poll use and social network use including Facebook.
                                                               i.      These stats open up the discussion of the increased use of the internet in France just like here in the US.
                                                             ii.      Once realized that use will most likely increase, what do we do to be safe online?

3.       Online Safety in France.
a.       Explore reason and purpose for the CNIL in France.
                                                               i.      SAFARI idea that lead to CNIL in 1978

4.       Online Safety in the classroom.
a.       CNIL created a 10 point Poster (in French) about internet safety.
b.      Students in each class split into 10 groups and each group is given 1 safety point to analyze.
                                                               i.      What does the safety point say in English?
                                                             ii.      Why is this an important point?
                                                            iii.      How would this affect your use of the internet?
                                                           iv.      What might happen if you don’t follow this safety point?
c.       Each group presents their safety point and discussion items to the class.  The poster is hung in the classroom along with their analysis papers.


Class Presentation with follow up questions for each part of the lesson.

Reflection
I spent much of my time researching and learning about digital citizenship in France which is not a topic I know a lot about.  I studied in France at a time when the use of email was just emerging for us as students and papers for our classes in France were hand written.  I made plans to meet my host cousin from my time in France in high school by writing her a letter and posting it!

I found a lot of value in the online resources I found.  The fact that I can find full reports of stats from research and published literature from an organization is crucial for students to see the connection to the world outside the classroom.  It's one thing to talk about that these are the facts and this organization exists, it's another to see it in writing and in this case, much of it in the target language.  

I struggle with open ended projects.  I live off lists and like to be told what to do and I'll follow it to the tee.  I find security and satisfaction when I know I've done it well and correctly with no doubts.  If it's open ended, I have to produce what I can produce and hope for the best which makes me nervous.  I can know that I like what I've done but without a check list or detailed rubric, I don't know how it will be perceived which makes me nervous.  With that being said, I understand the need for open endedness.  There are projects I give as a teacher that are very prescriptive and others that are open to interpretation and skill.  It's good to have experience in both as we will be faced with both in life and experience of all sorts is important, even when it's outside our comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment