Instructional Coaches 20% Digital Citizenship Project
The current instructional coaches participating in the 2013-14 Tech Cohort have compiled a list of technology tools and guidelines for responsible implementation. These guidelines are in alignment with the digital citizenship recommendations as presented in the Tech cohort. This information will be posted on the instructional coaches’ website.
Ethical behaviors and digital citizenship for instructional coaches and data collection:
- Data collection tools are agreed upon by the teacher and coach prior to observation;
- No tools are used (such as video) unless requested by teacher;
- Collected data is to be shared with only the observed staff person;
- Teachers are assured that data collected will be shared only with appropriate personnel;
- Student data privacy protocols will be discussed at the pre-observation meeting.
Data Collection Tools:
- Notability, Evernote, Audionote or similar notetaking apps
- Easily organized observation notes for teachers into folders ,
- Can import/take pictures of classroom interactions,
- Observation notes can be shared with teachers via email, dropbox, itunes, Google docs
- Annotate/draw on pictures for additional data collection
- Create drawings/charts to document student engagement/interactions/participation
- Highlight text
- Video on ipad
- Observational video can be hosted on an unlisted youtube channel and shared with the teacher via unique digital link.
- Allows teacher to experience her/his classroom from an objective/unfiltered perspective
- The use of blind-copy distribution lists to maintain confidentiality
- Consult with other coaches regarding time frames and content before sending to present a consistent message
- Consult with other coaches regarding mass emails that are sent to teachers/staff for purposes of goal setting and observation cycles to ensure consistent message for purposes of maintaining the fidelity of the Alt Comp program.
- Sample emails are shared with other coaches as created or saved in Google Drive for use as needed
- Screen Cast
- Instructional tool that allows for refining the message or lesson before delivery.
- Archivable lesson to be viewed and re viewed in a variety of settings (portability)
The coaches spent the majority of the time analyzing data collection tools and articulating the protocols around their use. We found the combined knowledge and experience of the coaches a valuable resource. In addition, we found the open endedness of this project engaging but challenging. The unique role of the coaches in the district made it difficult to align this assignment with the staff we coach. In the end, we learned that Digital Citizenship is an integral part of our daily work.