Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Eric Albers 20% Project for Collaboration and Community Course

Personal Inquiry Project - Digital Citizenship

How do we build digital citizenship within our classroom?  What kinds of responsibilities does a good digital citizen have?

We have created Kidblog accounts and I have been looking for lessons the students could use to incorporate Kidblog into their learning.  I want the students explore what it means to take on responsibilities in their online communities as a way to learn how to be good digital citizens.

1.  Read aloud, Mind Your Manners Online by Phyllis Cornwall and Piano and Laylee Go Online by Carmela N. Curatola Knowles
2. Students will watch videos from Brainpop and Common Sense Media.
d.   Blogging
3.  After reading and viewing the videos  I will brainstorm a chart with the students of what it takes to be a responsible online citizen.  Remembering to review with students that they are responsible for their own behavior, whether it is in the offline world or in the digital (online) world. Encourage them to take their online responsibilities seriously, because being responsible is crucial to being good members of the community and to becoming good digital citizens.
4.    Student Completion Process: Students will;
·       Play interactive game, “Upstander Evolve” on Digital Passport.org.  This will give students opportunities to practice the digital citizen skills they have learned.
·       Using Kidblog students will respond to the following prompt;
What does digital citizenship mean?  Give three examples of being a good digital citizen.
o  Keeping comments focused to the topic
o  Respectful responses
o  Responding with meaningful comments

·       Students will then choose one of the following questions to post on Kidblog for responses.
1.   Why is it important to be a good digital citizen?
2.   Why is it important to be respectful to others online?
3.   How is online etiquette the same as real life etiquette?
4.   Why is flaming not a good idea?
5.   Why should you not go online and be a troll
6.   Why should your online messages be easy to read and clear?
4.   Post Blogging and rules within the classroom from Common Sense Media and Scholastic News as continued guidelines.
6.               Resources
Common Sense Media. Org, Brainpop, Scholastic News, Digital Passport, Kidblog, Mind Your Manners OnlinePiano and Laylee Go Online
7.    Personal Reflection
This project is something that could be used within my classroom that will add to the overall understanding of digital citizenship with third graders. Once I had my idea, I spent time researching a variety of resources both online and in print. The online resources in Common Sense Media, Brainpop and Scholastic News were all very useful.
I had difficulty with the open ended style of the project. I follow a much more concrete path with sequential steps and directions.  That being said pushing me outside of my comfort envelope was in the long run probably good for me.   There were many times when I felt I needed extra direction and guidance but as I said now that the project has been completed I can see the benefits of the abstract style.
Now that the project is written, I am excited to begin in January with my class. I see this project taking several sessions to complete. It is the type of topic that is good to revisit often with children. This is a very important concept for all students to know and understand. It will only enhance the blogwork I plan to have my students do using Kidblog.  It helps to open up options for the students now that we have Chromebooks in the classroom.  I was quite overwhelmed by the amount of resources available.  I will continue to be.  Wherever I am with my class, whatever I am doing I always feel like I am one step behind.

1 comment: