Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Becky Huberty's 20% Project Blog

How do we build digital citizenship within our classroom?

I started to started to answer this question thinking about how to educate students about their digital citizenship, then I realized I had to back up and look at and assess what I know about my own digital citizenship.  I know I have lectured my children about inappropriate posts on facebook and the one that was before facebook (no idea anymore of that name).  I thought about the reason I got a facebook and it was to monitor my children's facebooks as that was one of our expectations.  Now that my kids are adults they shared with me that they had the facebook I was allowed to see and then one under another name that they did not friend me on.  So I began my research on ways to teach students about safety and permanence of presence.

I went to  http://pbskids.org/webonauts/  I want kids complete this lesson as a work station prior to our starting our blogs for our author study for reading. It will be a closed blog only for students in my class.  I felt that students at the 3rd grade level need a safe way to practice the three objectives of : Observe, Respect, and Contribute.

Day 1: Creating a KWL chart to see what we know about Digital Citizenship.

Day 2:  Students will complete the lesson on http://pbskids.org/webonauts/  either as individuals and as a whole group to promote discussion of objectives reviewed by the program.

Day 3:  Creating a blog rule list found at Scholastic Web Site below
http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/teachers_guide/SNOnline.BloggingRules.pdf

Day 4-20ish:  Students will answer questions about their books in their blogs and learn how to comment on each others blogs in a respectful and thoughtful way.

Days 5-20ish:  Students will fill out a rubric for themselves and two other people in their blog group.
http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/teachers_guide/SNOnline.BlogRubric3-5.pdf

Resources:  Brainpop, Scholastic, PBS Kids, Sherron Gaughan, 3rd Grade Team at Cornelia,kidslearntoblog.com (has great articles for how to teach kids to blog), My kids for teaching me to be smarter!

Reflection:  I loved this project and at first I wanted to research fluency and how I could use and bring technology into my room and teach kids to be responsible.  Then I backtracked and thought about what I needed to know myself about teaching kids about their digital presence.  I found that the more I dug, the more there was to learn.  So again, I found myself backing up and getting to the basics first.  I met with Sherron and talked about the lessons I wanted to teach.  She gave me additional sites I could use to help with teaching digital citizenship.  I am very excited to teach this lesson to my students after winter break.  I think students will love this new way to talk to each other about their ideas and thoughts and conversations will be deep and meaningful.


No comments:

Post a Comment