Friday, December 13, 2013

20%project for Collaboration and Community with Global Perspective

To prepare for this project I spent time reviewing the Digital Citizenship resources found on the Edina website for Elementary Teachers.  I found the Five minute Film Festival: Teaching Digital Citizenship to be a good introductory tool for me as an educator. Next I previewed many of the videos, took the quizzes, and then thought about how this project could benefit my students while also meeting the requirements for this class project.  I teach special education and have kids in grades K-5 in and out of my room at various times throughout the school day. I chose to address this project with two 5th grade students as they come to see me at the same time several times during the  week and are working on similar academic goals. I felt I could incorporate their reading and writing IEP goals into the project. 


Day 1:
We we had an informal conversation about what kinds of technology and social media they use in their daily lives. We discussed what Digital Citizenship means to them. Students shared that Digital Citzenship meant following rules on the computer. Next, I asked what “rules” they have learned about using technology. We listed the rules they generated on the white board. Rules the students identified were:
-Get permission to use the computer from your parents
-don't say mean things
-don't talk to people you don't know

 This discussion helped me decide what video would be shown for this project in the limited time I had. Both students shared they use a cell phone and the computer to connect with friends.  I showed a video from Brain Pop. It discussed Digital Etiquette and had key points the students could readily identify with at their grade and instructional level.  We viewed the video together 2 times then I had them take the quiz together. Students took turns reading the questions and clarifying what the question was asking before they selected an answer.  Students achieved 9/10 correct on the quiz. We discussed why the one question was incorrect by viewing that segment of the video again. 

Day 2:

I asked students to think about what we learned regarding Digital Citizenship in the video we viewed the previous day.  Next I assigned students to reflect on what they had learned by creating a slide show on Goggle Doc. They loved this idea and came up with main points that they felt were important to each of them.  Because each students had used the slide presentation format in 3rd grade they worked together to recall the steps to create a slide. They figured out how to put images in their slides.  They taught me how to use the slide feature of Google Docs!  While students talked with one another about how to set up the slide by inserting images, editing images, ect. they each worked independently on their ideas. The students shared their slide presentation with one another when finished and e-mailed them to their parents. Here are their slide presentations. They were eager to share them with their parents!

https://docs.google.com/a/apps.edina.k12.mn.us/presentation/d/1J1xBlFEQyKXcY0ecYXV0Mo9oPwTyAbTJTWDiEKFBBVg/edit#slide=id.p




I found the open ended nature of this project to be a bit frustrating for me.  I am still an entry level google doc user and developing a plan to teach digital citizenship that involved use of curriculum and technology was challenging. I am limited in knowledge about how students can share information in a digital format.  In the end the slide presentation was just as beneficial to me as it was to the students. They were able to display what they learned and I was able to learn from them how to make a slide presentation.  Total time spent was well over 5 hours as I did not realize how many resources were out there, planning a lesson that would benefit students while incorporating IEP goals, and working with students to put presentations together.  



1 comment: